February Recipe Freemont

Originally Posted by fremont
Not sure it was blind luck or not, but being the February recipe allows me to give you a great Valentine's Day dish. I've made this several times, and it's been well-received. The original recipe I used says it serves 4, but you'd better augment with veggies, salad & bread if you're going to feed that many (it only calls for a 24 oz. roast); it's better for 3 people and there will be leftovers for 2 people. Now, I've made for 4 people, but there are no leftovers.

You prepare a flour & kosher salt crust which becomes its own oven in which you'll bake the tenderloin. It continues to cook after you've removed from the oven. You crack open the crust in front of your guests, remove the fragrant roast and carve tableside. Always a crowd-pleaser. I've always done with beef, but you could probably use the tenderloin from certain types of game (i.e., for those animals where it's safe to cook on the rarer side).

In a large bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups AP flour, 1 1/2 cups kosher salt, 2T black pepper and 1/4 cup assorted fresh herbs. (I like Italian parsley, thyme, oregano and rosemary. I know a lot of recipes ask for fresh herbs, and many of us say "Yeah, right. Dried is fine." If at all possible, try to use fresh. It literally makes the dish.) In another small bowl, beat 2 egg whites until foamy. Gradually pour 1/2 cup + 2T water into the flour mixture, then egg whites, and stir with a wooden spoon until it begins to clump together. Knead in bowl, adding more water by the tablespoon until a moist dough forms. (I wouldn't use more than a couple additional tablespoons of water, though, as you don't want dough goopy.) Transfer to a floured surface and knead until it smooths out, about 3-4 min. (Do not become alarmed by dough's consistency. It's not a conventional flour dough; about 40% of it is salt, so it's grainy, etc.) Form the kneaded dough into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for approximately 4 hours.

Preheat a 400 degree oven. Heat approx. 2T olive oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Brown a 1.5# center cut, trimmed tenderloin on all sides. Set aside.

Roll out dough to an approx. 13"x10" rectangle. Place beef in center of dough, and cover with another 1/4 cup of assorted fresh herbs. Wrap beef. (Again, don't get concerned or frustrated about the dough or wrapping process. Wrap as best as you can, pinching openings closed. Use excess scraps of dough to plug holes. It'll take a few minutes, but you'll quickly see that you can fully encase the tenderloin.)

Place encased beef on baking dish and roast until rare (120-125 degrees, checked at the thickest part of the roast), approx. 25-30 min. Then remove and let stand for additional 30-60 min. (30 min. seems to get you to about med-rare.) I served with creamed horseradish sauce, roasted winter veggies, salad and a mellow red table wine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson