May Recipe Miss Lynn

Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
First I would like to thank you folks for your patience and understanding. It was, and is, appreciated.

I made this with my granddaughter Cavelle (5), it took quite a while to make as we both took turns with the prep work and taking pictures. We both love Dr Pepper and pork, and we both love this recipe, so I thought this would be a great recipe to share with you folks even though I know it is not as sophistacted as previous ones posted. But we hope you will enjoy it despite that fact.

NOTE: We also found by using the Dr Pepper from a large bottle we had plently left over for Dr Pepper Floats using Chocolate Ice Cream. I mean honestly, could we let it go to waste ???? NOOOOOOOOO, NEVER ! grin

The flavour of the pork with the earthy spiciness of the chipotle peppers and adobe sauce, mixed with the unique flavour of the Dr Pepper turns out to be one amazingly delicious combination. The meat is succulent and tender beyond belief. Honestly it takes a while to cook, but it is sooooooooo worth it in the end ! smile

Now, on with the recipe:

Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork

2 whole Large Sweet Onions
1 whole Pork Shoulder (Butt) about 5 To 7 Pounds
Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 cans (7 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
2 cans Dr. Pepper (I used 20 ounces from a large bottle)
1/2 tsp Cumin
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Peel the onions and cut them into wedges. Place them in the bottom of a large dutch oven, sprinkle cumin across the top of the onion wedges.

Salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the pan.

Pour the cans of chipotle peppers over the pork (including the sauce.) Now pour in both cans of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar, stir in. (After 4 hours of cooking I tasted the sauce for the balance of heat against sweet, which led to me using an extra tablespoon of brown sugar).

Put the lid tightly on pot, then place pot in the oven. Cook for at least six hours, turn the roast two or three times during the cooking time. After 6 hours check the meat, it should be falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it�s not, return to the oven for another hour.

Take the meat out of the pot and place on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred meat, pick out any large pieces of fat and discard. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve (I placed it in the oven, covered at 200 degrees).

Apple Cider Coleslaw

1 small head cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
1 half vidalia onion, sliced thinly
1 green bell pepper, sliced thinly (i prefer small dice)
1 c. shredded carrots (depends on how much you like carrots)
1/4 c. hot water
3/4 c. cider vinegar
1/3 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. celery seeds
1 tsp. kosher salt

Put all the vegetables in a really large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the hot water and sugar until sugar is dissolved, then add the cider vinegar, oil, mustard, celery seeds and salt. Stir to combine.

Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables, stir well to coat. Cover with plastic wrap (or the lid of the bowl) and refrigerate. Is best made 12-24 hours ahead of time, because flavors will meld.

[Linked Image]
Onion wedges on bottom of pan. I put the ingredients initally in this white dish so the process could be seen better as my dutch oven dish is a black/blue and nothing really shows up in it. I later transferred it for the cooking.

[Linked Image]
I left a layer of fat on for the cooking process, later it come of with just the light scrape of a knife.

[Linked Image]
(Excuse the background mess, I am having the living room and dining room renovated) Use 2 cans of these little puppies, and do not underestimate the power within shocked

[Linked Image]
Pretty picture before the smearing of the sauce.

[Linked Image]
Only the real thing will do !

[Linked Image]
An angle shot.

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Lynn_D_1961/sixthtolast.jpg[/img]
A close up ! (Posssibly too close, the picture is a bit fuzzy crazy Sorry)

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Lynn_D_1961/IMG00440-20110507-1733.jpg[/img]
The midget wanted her's with pepperjack cheese and some of the sauce smeared on the inside top of the toasted kaiser roll she had hers on.

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Lynn_D_1961/last.jpg[/img]
We prefer the coleslaw on the side, though it is traditional to serve it as a topping for the pulled pork. The midget finished the plate off with BBQ chips (not shown).

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson