March Recipe Bob B257

[quote=Bob_B257]This is a nice simple one that is a family tradition from my moms side.
I was thinking that I should have taken July because we enjoy these the best when the fresh corn is in during the summer, but March works because it is sugaring time in New England.

The base is any pancake batter.

I like to make my own,

1 1\2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1\2 cup milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the egg and milk. Mix in the butter melted. For this dish a more runny mix is OK.

In the summer we always cook more corn than needed for dinner (Boiled shucked or Grilled with husk on and tassels removed). The extra is cut off the cob and saved for the next days breakfast. This corn is mixed in a bowl with the batter (Just enough batter to hold the corn together) and fried in a buttered skillet till golden brown. The Idea is to just stick the corn together enough so it can be flipped when one side is done. The result is served with warm Maple Syrup.

Now the part that matters. This tradition is not set in stone. I make them with canned corn and Bisquick if that is all that is in camp, and if all you have is Aunt Jimima corn syrup enjoy. Not expensive or hard to find items, but a favorite in my house on a Saturday or Sunday morning for sure. If you have a load of fresh silver queen sweet corn and a nice sample of medium amber maple syrup it is a Home Run. A great way to start off the morning before a big work project or fishing trip. My kids always ask for more.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson