Originally Posted by Starman

Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Starman

I wonder how many people dry fire and/or shoulder a rifle to look through the scope in the home den or back shed..
all while the muzzle is pointed art something they don't intend to shoot.

Those are the stupid people you just mentioned!

Question,...do you think the majority of people with snap-caps for their pistols and shotguns dry fire at home or only
at the safety of a designated range?

I have no doubt that there are those who say 'don't glass with the scope'..but will point and dry-fire firearms at home,
and in all likelihood have also swept people with the muzzle while hunting.

Sorry, acting like this is a measure of stupidity and irresponsibility, is well, stupid.

Everyday I jump in my truck and back out the driveway and head down the road. That truck has the possibility of creating 10's of thousands in damage as well as death. But I have eyes, legs, and arms to control the throttle, brake, and steering to avoid that. But the truck has several things beyond my control....what if the brakes fail, the steering column breaks, or the throttle sticks? I have no real control over failure, yet I drive it everyday.

A gun on the other hand I can control it's potential for damage. If I have cleared the action and verified it is empty several times the moment before I close the action and point it at a wall and dry fire it, then it CANNOT harm anyone or anything, ever. It's impossible. Do you sit at a 4 way stop sign all day with your wife and kids in the car? Or after you have checked both ways and verified nothing is coming, do you proceed through the intersection????? Simple question isn't it??

I'm safety conscious all the time with all things firearms. When reloading I will read out loud the powder brand and number I'm looking at in the book, then the powder can I'm holding in my hand, then the book again. Only the powder I'm using is ever out on the bench.

If I cannot trust what my arms and hands have just done with the action on a firearm, and what my eyes have verified more than once, then I shouldn't own a gun period, and for the love of God should never carry a gun out hunting. And even worse I should most certainly never ever crawl in a vehicle and head down the road.

Intentionally pointing the muzzle at a person, or even in the direction of a person is a whole other issue.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.