Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
[

No,I don't point my rifle around looking for game or pointing it toward a sound. If I see a deer or a group of deer at a distance,I may very well look at them with my scope before deciding to shoot.

I don't really understand where this thread has gone with everyone talking about someone pointing a rifle at them. Where I hunt I've never even carried binoculars. You can rarely find a place to see for 300 yards and I can see well enough with my eyes to tell if it's a deer or a man. I'm not going to point my rifle scope at anything I can't identify.

That's a curious comment about not carrying binoculars because you can't see 300 yards. We hunt very differently. Most of my binocular use is inside of 100 yards, and the majority of that less than 50 yards, though I glass some big country with them at times. I enjoy hunting forest, whether slipping along still hunting or on impromptu calling stands. My first awareness of game has been a deer leg or ear a few yards away, two square inches of elk hair at 12 yards, the rump of a bedded deer at 60 yards, a bear ear at 15 feet, etc.

I have had someone look at me through a scope on public land. Really scary. Both of us were standing in the open beside our vehicles on ridge tops 250 yards apart, so he knew that I was a man before he looked.