I used to see three reasons for using one's rifle-mounted scope for general glassing. Stupidity, ignorance, and negligence.

But Sharman educated me on the importance of arrogance when defending one's royal acres.

I stand corrected. My apologies to all.

All who glass for game with a rifle scope attached to the rifle likely use a quality wood chisel or hunting knife to open paint cans and such.. (I use a cheap, chipped chisel myself. Damned screws/nails! smile.

Positive reasons not to glass with a scope:

1. Safety - for both - some people object to having firearms needlessly pointed at them - for any "reason".
2. Binoculars weigh 30 ounces? - a scoped rifle weighs 7-10 lbs, depending.
3. When in use, balance point of binoculars is maybe 3 inches in front of nose - for the rifle - maybe 20 inches. Figure what that, and #2 will do for steady hold for fine examination, checking out movement, or looking for a line or color out of place. Of course, if they are wearing safety orange, anything will work.
4. field of view.
5. light gathering

i see stuff better with my 20 year old, $160 Cabela's Pine Ridge binoculars than I can with my $350 Leupold scope. (yes- I did check!)nBut I did up the grade somewhat on the binoculars I gave my non-hunting son for Christmas. He has a lot more years of use ahead of him than I do... and I can only eat so much game....

I will admit I have no experience with the really high end stuff.

Perhaps one day I will mug one of you guys for your chit...... smile

Let's see-

$3,000 binocs
$1500 spotting scope (low end)
$5,000 rifle and scope
$800 range finder (or is that in the binocs?)
$75 flashlight
$300 wool shirt
etc.

Any of you guys wear Rolex watches? Preferably with Black Hills Gold watchband. My wife loves that stuff.

PM me.

Last edited by las; 06/08/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.