Originally Posted by jaguartx
So, when you leave the truck chasing after a covey of blue quail that flushed from it getting close youre going to haul ass after them through sage roots and clumps of prairie grass humps and when they flush again 20-50 yds ahead youre going to drop a couple in yer double and sit there with your finger you know where?

When you walk up to the creek with banks covered in oak and sycamore and cottonwood timber and the woodies and mallards flush and are hauling ass down the creek and up through the timber youre going to try shucking a round in as youre jumping logs and dodging vines trying to get an opening lined up on them?

You gonna sneak down deer trail through the switch cane along a southern creek and when a bedded buck jumps from a fallen tree top or a cat squirrel hops up on the side of a pin oak to look at you, youre going to try to chamber a round for no real reason.

Youre going to sit by a water hole in the desert and when a passel of doves whips by youre going to try to chamber a round? Why?

I will pass on hunting that stuff with you. You would be more dangerous dealing with the game and trying to load and then move to get a shot than, if like most, you were hot.

Obviously, if you're flushing birds and hunting with a shotgun, you need to have a round in the chamber. That's just common sense. But you won't catch me jumping logs and vines with a round in the chamber. Especially if I'm hunting with someone else. That's also common sense.

Same with sneaking down a deer trail. I don't have a problem with a round in the chamber, as long as I'm not jumping logs and vines and I can keep control of the muzzle. If I think I might jump a deer, then I need a round in the chamber.

And definitely, if I'm sitting down and waiting for birds, deer, or whatever to come by, I will have a round in the chamber. No question about muzzle control.

Like I said before, the two questions I ask myself are "do I need a round in the chamber right now, and can I keep control of the muzzle." It's not rocket science and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop trying to put words in my mouth.

And as far as "holier than thou," bullsh**. I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to hunt, I don't care how you hunt. I responded to a guy who said he's not buying that it's safer to hunt with a cold chamber. That's nonsense.

A wise man is frequently humbled.