FWIW, my history of carrying hot has changed. I grew up hunting thickets with a round in the chamber and safety on. Never had a problem, though I fell off of a low cliff one time, rolling and sliding down a rock chute, and in hindsight, could have shot myself as I cradled the carbine to protect it. Teenager with first rifle.

In adulthood I changed to carrying with chamber empty when walking with another person and on rough ground even when alone. That cost me a big 4x4 mule deer that jumped in front of a friend and I as we traversed cliffs and rock slide. I squeezed on an empty chamber, out of earlier habit from carrying hot.

But reading posts here at the campfire confirmed my decision years ago to carry an empty chamber. The exception is when on most calling stands, especially for cats. My preference is to set up in thick stuff which tend to very close shots. My major concern is that switching from hot to empty chamber may cause me to forget when it is hot, so I methodically check.

I have noticed that the shorter the rifle, the easier it is to point the muzzle at yourself. My little Mohawk 600 points at my lower calf if I hold it by the pistol grip and let it hang down.

Merely musings.