Normally, about this time of year I used to start waiting for the catalogs to arrive. I don't get that many catalogs anymore, and there is not much in the ones I do get that I want or need.

Normally, about June my eye would drift to that bare spot in the gun rack and I would comment to myself that this that or the other thing needed to be acquired prior to deer season. Maybe you couldn't see the gap, but I could.

Now that all the major manufacturers have their catalogs online, there's no great thrill when one arrives in the mail. Now that I have acquired what I have sworn to bemy last 30-06, some of the thrill is gone. There just is not a reason to be getting all worked up. Maybe hormones would work; I've already tried vitamins, and they had no effect except changing the color of my urine.

So here I go into my 60th year seriously wondering what I need to acquire next.

The Ruger Hawkeye in 2014 really put me in a bind. By this past year's Opener, I had realized I was holding the one rifle that really and truly satisfied my deer rifle lust. I've now lobbed .25 to .35 cal at Whitetails with several stops on the way over 4 decades. This 30-06 has killed them as dead as I could ever want. There will be other rifles and other chamberings, but there probably won't be better in my life. The one animal on my bucket list that might require something more is a Moose, and I probably won't try for one of those for another 4 years. I say that knowing that the 35 Whelen and the 30-06 would both to a great job-- who am I kidding. See? I can't even fake it anymore.

I am slowly acquiring a large collection of 308 WIN brass. However, I have only one rifle in that chambering and it does me well enough. My Opening Day goto rifle is a Savage 99. However, I have far more brass than I ever will need. Perhaps a 308 WIN bolt action, but why a 308 when I already have a 30-06? Why buy a rifle to fit brass? See? I'm starting to ask questions. Something is wrong/

I could go big. I have thought about a bunch of options. A nice 44 Mag carbine would be nice. So would something bigger. I have toyed with the idea of acquiring a 45-70, but why should I go to all that work to lob something so big at a whitetail when the current complement does such a good job with far less lead involved? I have even downsized my 35 Whelen it now shoots cast lead 200 grainers.

Guys, I know what the problem is; I'm probably not a complete rifle looney. If I was, then I would not be asking these existential questions. If I was a true armed loon, I would be satisfied that the act of acquisition alone was sufficient reason. I need help.

Case in point: I was at my LGS on Sunday. It was my first trip in since March. I went to be tempted, but stock was low and there was nothing their that could raise my blood pressure. I did spy a sporterized Swedish Mauser that had been sitting since March with a $500 price tag. I thought about asking if they'd take $450 for it, and I'm pretty sure they would. I held back, however. New dies? New bullets? I'd better take the temperature on brass availability before committing. I walked out with my hands empty. A decade ago, I would have been perseverating for a week and then kicking myself when it got sold. Now? I didn't even lose sleep. I did something similar with a 7X57 Mauser last summer.

Something must be wrong.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer