My wants and desires ebb and flow like the tide. I go through phases where I get bored and like to experiment with things. I go through other phases where I get tired of trying to juggle all the experiments and start paring down my collection. I find these "paring down" times are good, because I come back to what really works, what I really use. It helps to focus and drag the kernels of truth out from my opinions. Truth be known I could be happy with a 30-06 for killing deer, some type of 6.5 for shooting steel at distance, and a 243 for whacking coyotes. Plus a 223 for just playing around.

Or I could shoot a 25-06 for everything around here and be done.

But where is the fun in that?

Of course though, I have many more rifles than that lying around hither and yon. Somehow it seems they just appear at times. Just like that 257 Roberts that my dad's friend gave me the other day. Unexpected, unasked for, yet there it is. A fine cartridge, in a VZ-24 action, yet it doesn't do anything 3 or 4 others in the safe wouldn't do just as well. It may be a couple years before I get around to it.

I don't look at catalogs much for guns. Mostly I look at bullets and reloading gear. Check prices of components, that sort of thing. Then I throw them in the trash. I buy what I can at the LGS, or failing that search and order on the internet.

I have never had much of a claim to good sense when it came to guns. And at 48 years old I am new to the middle aged thing as well. As such my opinions are sure to be suspect and should be treated accordingly.