Originally Posted by Huntz
I am 73.So many guns,so little time.The fun part for me is load development.When I get a rifle shooting good,I move on to the next quest.Selling and trading is all part of the fun.I still hunt Michigan,Wisconsin and Montana.I would rather eat venison than just about any other type of meat and shoot all I am allowed.I found "Time" is much easier on you if you have a daily regimen of walking and exercise.I also weight lift every third day.My days are pretty busy and I have a hard time cramming in everything I want to do.

My type of man... except for eating all that venison!

At closing in on 82, I've already "pared" down to two big game rifles, a couple 22RFs and a 12ga. And, oh yeah, I just shot a bunny in the head this a.m. with my "target" .17 cal. pellet pistol - at about 7 yards... he'd been eating my wife's flowers and veggies as they appear above ground! A one-shot kill!

But really, "two big game rifles" can be made into target, varmint and deer rifles, and they have been, even though they were mostly chosen for black bear. Both are "oldies" in design, but very modern in construction, and I have "mild" downloads for each (as well as Max loads for each). One or both will see action come September, God willing. The latest has now been with me for six years, and has taken three bears. It's a Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62. It has replaced all magnums and mediums, including .375 H&H, .340 Wby, .338 Win Mag, .35 Whelan and .300 Win Mag. It can do anything they could do... if needed or wanted. Plus, with downloads, it makes an ideal rifle for big whitetails in woods hunting. My other BG rifle has been with me for quite a long time: a Ruger No.1 in .45-70 with an improved throat (lengthened) for the long monos. I can shoot cast bullets at 1200 or the 500 Hornady at 2200. And all else can fit somewhere between those extremes.

I enjoy experimenting with loads, and have a few hundred .458" bullets lying around of various shapes, weights and construction. Really, I could get by with the Ruger No.1 as my only hunting/target shooting/practising rifle for all the days remaining that God has ordained for me. Same could be said for the 9.3 x 62.

Don't cry over ageing! As Huntz said, and I agree, ".... I have a hard time cramming in everything I want to do."

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 06/27/17.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus