It does indeed. Marketing generates revenue. I've got no problem with that at all. For my personal situation however, I look at magazine or TV ads with a critical eye. Is what they are offering of any value? And please, don't tell me that people are not influenced by the hype. I see evidence of it when I walk into gun shops, go to the range and spend time at some hunting camps. Someone is buying "useless, but cool stuff", so there is a market.

Be picky about what you need. Be critical of yourself and your requirements. Spend smart. Do not buy junk that you saw on a commercial just because it looks cool. The ad guys are attempting to work 'your stupid side'. And they appear to be winning. Educate yourself. Buy what your situation demands. Spit in their eye.

We have all seen the 'tactical take overs'. Picatinny mounts. Funky scope rings with 6 or 8 screws per. Flashlight and bipod attachments that once were the exclusive domain of real tactical people are now showing up on odd looking 30-30 "tactical" levers, shotguns and others. Everyone wants to be a cool, tactical ops guy! And of course, there's the camo clothing, covers and cases. Mildot scopes. etc. How many people know how to use this stuff properly? How many need it? The answer is, not many, and they do not know how to use it, but they cannot live without it. Marketing makes it embarrassing to go to the range or deer camp without something cool.

This made me howl with laughter, the first time I saw it.

When enemy deer are trying to infiltrate your perimeter, be prepared. Dad's old 30-30 just doesn't cut it anymore.
Tactical is strong. Tactical demands respect. Tactical wins the day. Be tactical. Live tactical. You deserve it!

[Linked Image]

Successful hunters buy the things that will increase their odds of success, not what the commercials tell them are needed. That means knowing your quarry, the land where you hunt and the cartridge needed.

Know your rifle. If your trigger sucks, replace it. Make sure your stock fits. Get a good scope, but not necessarily a model that costs $1000s. Buy something with a good reputation and a power that fits your situation. Research your needs. Read. Engage your brain. If you are going on a trip, take along a spare rifle of the same calibre. That eliminates the problem of not having the correct cartridge when you arrive at your destination.

And practice shooting in the off season!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]