Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

It's more that just 'some' people who overthink things here. If you were to line up every modern cartridge and eliminate 80% of them, reloading would easily fill the gaps. What that means is, there really aren't any gaps, just a misconception of need.

To some extent I can agree with this. However, it isn't just gaps caused by the chambering, and often having another rifle in the same chambering can make a lot of good sense. For instance, I have 8 30-06 rifles and they are currently loaded with 3 different loads. However, they have different stocks and different scopes.

Since I'm primarily a whitetail hunter, my collection is geared towards that. I have different rifles for different venues and conditions.

I have my treestand rifles. They are for short range work in dense woods. I primarily use a lever or a pump. The loads I pick usually are downloaded considerably.
I have my ground blind guns. These have the longest barrels and the best scopes. I'm usually firing off a sandbag from a seat.
I have rifles that I won't purposefully take out in the rain. I have rifles that are stocked for warm weather and cold.
There are rifles that I would not pick for stalking and those that I would.

Overthinking? Who? Me?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer