I'm with you!
I've bought and sold probably 100 guns through the years....I turned 60 in March.
I still absolutely love side by side shotguns, rifles, and to a lesser extent handguns.
I mostly bought rifles for the chambering. Reloading has been a great joy for me and my hunger for wanting to "test" various cartridges I've read about, kept my safe as full as my pocketbook would allow.
There are still many rifles I long for just cause....I never owned/shot a Savage 99 for example....I know right!
But, thinking about retirement, probably moving somewhere where I CANNOT shoot in my backyard, as I do now, and eventually (long time I hope) dying, I step back and realize I have enough right now to test and last me the rest of my life, even after I sell off some, which I am planning on. For hunting, I could keep one of my three 30/06's and it would serve me well for any of my future hunts.
My son will gladly take whatever I have left, when I kick the bucket, but just won't appreciate the history and reloading aspect like I do.
I agree a 22 Hornet is good for the sole....sold mine, but kept the 218Bee smile
I still peruse gun shows and gunbroker, guns international, but keep reminding myself of what I actually own and can still play with, hunt with.
It's hell getting old (speaking for myself) and suddenly thinking I need to stop accumulating "stuff" and start thinning things out.
Maybe I'll change my mind, but for now thats my thoughts.
I'm still a rifle looney!