Originally Posted by bangeye
Funny I look back and while I've owned some really nice rifles and had a lot of fun . Like most when starting out as a newly. We'd I didn't have the. $$ to buy nice guns or really many guns at all so horse trading was the order of the day. I've owned sone nice rifles such as Browning safaris, a really nice Ruger #1 bbs version that I later read there were only 12 or so made in that caliber as well as various savage 110, 700s Ruger. 77 . If I had to start over again today I'd find myself nice all round rifle in something like a 308 or 7-08 maybe a delux kimber or maybe a classic Mauser sporter. Then I'd buy a really nice 20 sidelock sxs along with a good 12 ga semi maybe something along the lines of a Beretta390. That would serve as backup , turkey, waterfowler. A nice 22 rimfire a pistol or two and that would be it. But basically a really nice hunting rifle and really nice bird gun along with a couple of supporting chapters and hunt the crap out of them.
Whole lot of wisdom in those last few sentences. That's the direction I'm heading.