I am 67 and have been f-ing around with rifles since 13. I still think of myself as a GUN-NUT and prefer that moniker to rifle looney.

I have owned more really fine rifles than necessary. Most were commercial pre-war Mausers worked on by Thos Burgess and stocked in fine European walnut by Fisher, Kennedy, Milliron, Biesen etc.

Today I am much more interested in going and doing rather than owning. I have slots for 4 CF rifles. When one comes in then one goes out. I have been very fortunate to hunt a lot and have taken a lot of BG. I could have done all of it, except the dangerous African animals, with a 270 Win. I have not observed any consistent difference on game with most of the stuff guys talks about. From the 6.5x55 to the big 30's and 33's there isn't much difference except in rifle weight and recoil. If you need something bigger then get a 416 or a 458 Win. There is some appeal with the 375's and the 9.3-62 but I am a timid soul when I see something big and dangerous up close.

Besides my 4 CF's I have a Glock 19, an 870 20ga, and two 22lrs.

I am still building the ultimate 270 Win and have decided the best bet is a Rem 700 action worked over properly with a well installed good barrel, a great trigger, and a synthetic stock. Have owned pretty much every custom action and none were better for a hunting rifle than a Rem 700 that has been given some love. If I had learned this long ago I would have saved myself the money equivalent of two grand slams plus a full bag 21 day African trip.

Am about to start on a 458 Win and will likely use a 700 for that too. No worry.

Last edited by RinB; 06/29/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.