Most years one or more of the guys will have wild game of some sort they have taken that year that they want everyone to try. I always look forward to those. I've had wild hog lasagna, antelope chow mien, pheasant casserole, elk or venison burgers, and a variety of grilled wild game on those nights.

We always have grouse fajitas one night. I'll bring tortillas, onion, green pepper, fajita mix, sometimes shredded cheese. A couple of the guys in camp have .410 handguns and we always kill a couple grouse. This has become a meal everyone looks forward to.

We nearly always plan to have an open fire cooking night. Some years the weather doesn't cooperate and there have been years when this meal hasn't happened. Usually this is later in the week because we don't go for open fires early in the hunt. Everyone brings a long handled skewer (or they are forced to make one). Fare can be anything from hot dogs to polish to various types of kabob meat that everyone has brought.

Each year we bring a large skillet for one particular meal. The skillet is used for elk loin, potatoes, onions, in the skillet. Usually this night occurs when the first elk is down.

Spike camp food is nothing anyone wants to remember. Usually MREs or Mountain House.

One year my brother brought a live chicken to elk camp, slaughtered it, and cooked for everyone. It came out good but grouse are usually readily available and less work.