Good grub can make or break the hunt. But I am usually too bushed to cook or do much of anything. I like to make a big pot of Chili and leave it and coffee on the fire or stove all day. Then I can eat at anytime and maybe catch a few Z's mid day. When that is gone I make a big pot of stew which hopefully will have some Elk meat in it. This helps me to eat my veggies as it is easy to forget them. Carbs should be high on the list potatoes or pasta usually providing these. Lot's of snacks in the day pack: jerky, granola bars, dried fruit, snickers, Reese's etc. I also carry something nasty like Vienna sausage or Spam that I will only eat if I am really hungry or in an emergency situation.

No freeze dried stuff unless it is a hardcore back pack affair. The windyness is enough to spook any Elk in the territory.

When doing the perpetual chili or stew and coffee routine more than once I have had other hunters help themselves to a cup of cowboy coffee which I am glad to oblige but help yourself to the venison chili and I would have to shoot you. This has worked out well as I got the benefit of their scouting efforts and have even shot an Elk on info obtained this way.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/17/17. Reason: Thought of an anecdote.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli