I am pretty much a minalmist as a back packer. If horse or a vehicle is packing it.....well!

Don't know you guys, but from the hunting shows I've seen, weight loss wouldn't be all that a bad thing for most all of those boys, and not a few of the girls either.

And if one is hunting early in the season in Alaska- you don't get "dark" to speak of. 4 or 5 straight 18 hour all day hunting gets a bit wearisome. If possible, I return to camp mid-day for a nap, and boil some water, which goes into a big camp thermos for supper "cooking", and maybe breakfast & coffee too. Sometimes I do it at breakfast, and sometimes at night , if I can't mid-day.. Nothing like making up a cup of coffee without getting out of one's bag! No, I am not a morning person. A 2 qt thermos works well for this. Depends on distance and load if I take a thermos.

Instant oatmeal, breakfast bars, pop-tarts, etc for breakfast, cup-o noodles, jerky, cheese, etc for supper.

Like saddlesore says- you need fat and carbs, so cheese, summer sausage, pop-tarts, peanut butter sandwiches, pilot bread etc for lunches. On backpacks lasting more than a couple days, all this , plus a few sticks of butter to add to freeze dried meals. They have no fat, and will make your knees go weak in just a couple days without "value added".

Yeah, on a 10 day backpack trip, I generally go from 165 or so to 155 or so. Takes the belt up a notch! Hasn't killed me yet.

While "I'd rather hunt than eat" might be going a bit far,my time is more valuable hunting and sleeping than cooking.

Last edited by las; 07/25/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.