White_Bear,

I also wanted to address these two;

Anyway, back to the original question. To all the "good cops" out there or any professional of the law, have you ever looked the other way while one of your brothers have broken the law? I hear about officer discretion but why aren't you held to a higher standard? Broken the law or a traffic code? Broken the law, no. In fact I turned in the Sergeant I had as a rookie for stealing and testified against her.
Have I given a fellow cop a break for speeding? Yup! Just as I have given countless other people the same break. Not everyone gets a ticket.
I HAVE written a LEO a ticket because they gave me no other choice. The idiot flashed his badge at me and TOLD me to let him go. Surprise! He wasn't very happy and told my supervisor exactly that. My Sergeant told him to "go cry on someone else's shoulder 'cause his "giveashitter" was broke that day"

We ARE held to a higher standard, that's why everything a LEO does wrong is immediately seized upon and spread all over. You just don't see that with plumbers, electricians, dentists, secretaries, etc...

Are you still considered a good cop if you follow everything to the book but let other LEO slide while they fail at their paid profession? NO. You're not a good cop if you observe a crime being committed and you walk away from it. We all get painted with the same, broad brush, regardless if we are the one committing the crime, just because we wear the same uniform.
My integrity means everything to me. Without it I cannot hold my head up. My self respect would not allow it, and almost every LEO I have ever met lives by the same rule.

I have over 26 years in LE, and am very proud of my life. It's not just a job, nor a career, it's a life.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell