Originally Posted by White_Bear
Then I thank you good sir. I only wish there were more folks with such moral integrity.

There are. Tens of thousands of them wearing the badge and gun everyday. It's just that they don't get the publicity.

I never got up, put on my uniform and went out onto the streets so I could be recognized as some sort of "hero". I did it because I absolutely loved beating criminals at their own game and I love the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction that comes when I got to make a difference, no matter how slight, in someone else's life.

One less scheitbag off of the street for a while, one less drunk driver endangering other people, one less dope dealer plying his trade for a while, one less burglar taking someone else's hard earned property away from them, one less person creeping around neighborhoods, one less call to have to respond to, one less assault. Those were the goals every day. If a LEO looks at all of the crime, all of the misery, all of the wrongs, he/she will get overwhelmed, so we take just one thing at a time, making one small difference at a time.

And we get back up the next day and do it again because it's who we are, not just what we do.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell