Originally Posted by gregintenn
I figure the ratio is about the same as it is among the U.S. citizenry. About 10% are just sorry, about40% don't give a crap about anything but themselves, and the other half are decent folks. The bad ones get all the press.

Nah, I don't think that holds up.

In general, jobs in the productive sector attract people who can do them well, because people who can't do them well tend not to advance in them, or even to get fired from them. Consider a welder who can't weld well, or a cashier who can't resist stealing money, or a doctor who can't be bothered to keep up with the latest pharmaceuticals. They'll all lose their jobs to competitors who do those jobs better; so the would-be welder might choose instead to be a guitarist, the would-be cashier a housekeeper, etc.

But where jobs in the parasitic sector are concerned, there's a definite moral hazard that doesn't exist in the productive sector where the coercive power that comes with a particular job attracts precisely the sort of people who shouldn't have it, and the lack of competition makes it easy for them to stay.

For example, corrections officers. You should want to be a corrections officer because you want to help people get their lives back together, and because you want to be a line of defense against the worst of the worst in society. But you'll also want to be a corrections officer if you simply enjoy bullying people, tormenting them, and beating them up without having to worry about retribution. I'm here to tell you that in real life there are plenty of corrections officers at both ends of that scale, and that's not going to change anytime soon, because the way the system is designed keeps it like that.

Or politicians. You should want to be a politician because...heck, I don't know. I can't think of a decent reason why anyone would want to be a politician. But there are plenty of corrupt reasons why people want to be politicians, and as we all know the number of decent politicians--if that number even exists--is dwarfed into insignificance by the number of corrupt politicians.

The same is true of cops. There are good reasons to be a cop, and there are really bad reasons to be a cop, and plenty of people are cops for both kinds of reasons, and the system doesn't differentiate between them. As long as they're good enforcers for the State, they'll keep their jobs.

So no, I don't think the ratio of bad to good is the same in the parasitic sector as it is in the productive sector: I think it pretty much has to be much, much higher.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867