Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by bobmn
APD: "Yes the arrest is on your record, but most people interested in your background give you an opportunity to explain what happened as far as the charges being dropped. Most businesses ask "have you ever been convicted", not "have you ever been arrested". Those who do ask about the "arrest" vs. the "conviction" should allow for proof of no adjudication and use that as the basis for hiring or not." You are sadly misinformed. In my profession a yes answer to arrest on an application means you will never have an interview. In your profession will a potential candidate get an interview if he was arrested?

Bob, the same in my profession, but every application I have see also has a place for "Explanation". Didn't say they would use the explanation, I said they "Should" use that as a basis. As an employer, if I were sorting through applications, I would use that arrest record to weed out candidates, but, after 26 years in LE, I also know that not all arrests are what they seem on the face. Maybe I'm just too reasonable.

Ed

Studies of employment applications show this is not the case. Just having an arrest show up on your background check,even if charges were dismissed or a person was found not guilty can decrease their LIFETIME income by 20%. this is becoming worse with the increased use of automated resume sorting.

Every-time a cop wrongly arrest a person they are significantly impairing their potential income, and more cops need to be held accountable for the damages incurred.

It is a huge deal and I often ask where is the accountability.

Yes there are ways to protect our civil liberties for huge screw-ups but what about the little things like an arrest? Some LE have said it is better to error on the side of safety so arrest now and ask questions later but what if overturned arrests went on their record?

Yes it's a tough job but you chose it and there are tougher jobs out there so son't jump on that soapbox. There needs to be some sort of checks and balances. I don't have the answers hence the reason for the thread. A badge does not create a hero but a hero can really make a badge shine.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...