Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
...Studies of employment applications show this is not the case. Just having an arrest show up on your background check,even if charges were dismissed or a person was found not guilty can decrease their LIFETIME income by 20%. this is becoming worse with the increased use of automated resume sorting.

Every-time a cop wrongly arrest a person they are significantly impairing their potential income, and more cops need to be held accountable for the damages incurred.

I stand corrected and am glad I was in the employment lines at a time when things weren't always like this.

As to bobmar's comment about my youth and not having encountered a crooked cop and the subsequent effect on my career, it is true.

When I was young and stupid, I was not saint, by a long shot, just fortunate to not get caught. Perhaps that's why I have tried to be fair throughout my career.

As I used to teach Academy students, they possess more power over the average citizen than even the President. They can kill with their weapons, or they can destroy someone's life and their families life with their pen. It's a tremendous responsibility, particularly when a PD gives it to people with little life experience.

Ed

Ed,

It's nice to hear from the cops who "get it". I think you hit on one of the great conundrums of police work. It required the body of a young man, but the wisdom of someone much older.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell