Originally Posted by Bristoe
I need a good one. Don't feel rained on if I don't respond to every post. Rest assured that I'm taking advice from everybody who voices information.

I made my living with a chainsaw and I will say,the best saw for a casual user is a Stihl.I used a Husky for cutting logs but every logging crew I was on used a Stihl for the landing..Why-because there almost indestructible.The landing is where all the grrenhorns go that possibly have never owned a saw in there life and certainly have never filed one..On the landing you have mud/snow/dirt/rocks and chokers to deal with and the saw dulls very quickly..No time for the file guides or changing chains..You have to learn to file properly or the saw is no better than an axe..I have actually set the saw down and used an axe instead of the saw because it was so dull and know time to sharpen in inbetween drags,The Cat's and skidders get mud and dirt embedded into the limbs dragging them to the landing...Tough place to be sometimes.

The chain grinder is the best to sharpen a chain,like slicing butter with a knife.They have there downsides though.Someone who is good with a round or flat file can come close with a new file..I have 3 Stihls now and 0 Huskies..I just cut firewood anymore and the Stihls do a fine job..There cheaper in these parts and parts and good used saws are easy to come by.I recommend a newbie to use all the guides available to learn the angles before going freehand and the raker depth guide to learn the height needed for proper grab.

For those old enough to remember the old Stihl commercial of the jeep pulling the Stihl down the road with a chain then starting right up..Funny but pretty true atleast for the older saws!