Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Originally Posted by Raeford
Does anyone here have the saw chain sharpener that Harbor Freight carries?
Chicago brand

If so, are they worth the $30?

Have one? No
Are they worth it?
No........a lot of work for poor results.
Get the $89-119 one. From northern hydraulics and go to Arboristsite and search for how to threads.

To me, mine was well worth the thirty-thirtyfive bucks.

With a file, I can get a chain to about 30% of new condition. It will cut, but it throws sawdust instead of chips.

The saw shop can make a chain cut like new, but they charge half the price of a new chain to sharpen one, and it is half worn out at that time. No economy there.

The Chicago Electric grinder is a little sloppy. It does not grind a like new chain. But it will come within 90%.

For occasional use, like mine, 2 to 4 sharpenings per year, it is fine.

If a guy is sharpening a dozen chains every week, a $150 to $300 grinder would be good economics as it would greatly extend the life of the saw chain vs the cheap plastic imitation.

We heat solely with wood[very hard-wood-mostly standing dead black locust], wrap your knuckles on it and it's like hitting concrete...only harder. It's pretty tough on saw chains. Super sharp makes a big difference.

Yeah. When it's dead a while I often get Sparks......

Unless you catch it quick, full chisel goes from sharp to kinda dull to real dull sorta quick.

If I'm cutting a lot of it, a semi chisel or chipper is what I use. More durable.