Mike, I'll add my observations of SO CALLED hunting shows.

You CAN NOT age accurately by sight. Yes there are indicators of age but indicators are all they are.

I've seen very mature WT called 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 when it's obvious they are OLDER. First off, I think the TV shows are trying to convince WATCHERS that 'mature' is really what we call old or older bucks. I killed a big, heavy horned 6 pt. (not a big rack but HEAVY) in 2013 or 2014 that was an OLD buck. Mass does NOT come before age.
He had a LONG face (nose) and gray hair on his head. I don't recall his weight but I weigh all bucks whole, because I want to know their live weight.

I have pix but am unable to post them currently. You can clearly see his LONG head (nose to crown).

On UNCONTROLLED land what you or I let walk, the NEXT hunter probably will shoot. I have NOTHING to gain except to lose killing a nice buck if I let him walk. 406_SBC is right on about AGING and HANDLING as it relates to taste.

The ONLY accurate way to age a buck is MOLAR examination and then it is not EXACT.

Per age, the only rule I have is Don't Shoot Fawns (dinks), Every button or very short spiked buck you kill is an Antler buck you'll never see nor kill. I tell anyone who hunts w/me-- Don't Shoot Fawns.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/02/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!