Speaking of spikes, I can't help but wonder if it is geographical to some extent. In Iowa I could count the number of spikes I have seen without taking my shoes off but literally hundreds of fork horns or basket 6 and 8 points. We just don't seem to have spikes around here.

I am a fan of letting legal hunters shoot whichever legal deer they want to and try not to judge. If looking for meat I prefer to shoot does and let younger-looking or smaller bucks pass in hopes of shooting something bigger and letting them grow but this is never an absolute. I'm not even sure it really works as I have shot a couple of nicer mature bucks but probably nothing many of you would consider a trophy. In most areas 150" deer just aren't as common as some people would have you think and if you can have one in your sights without getting the shakes; congratulations-you are a better man than me. I doubt I could let one pass. As someone else said it is the situation and the experience that makes the hunt sometimes and not just the size of the horns. I worked my butt off to take my first antelope doe on public land in a unit with limited access and consider her a 'trophy' even with no horns at all.