Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

How are spikes trash?

I remember very well in the 70-80s that John Wooters repeatedly said, "once a spike always a spike". I didn't know one way or the other at the time but I've come to know that is NOT always right.

A very young buck may be a spike for his first - short - set but they are not forever a spike.

OTOH, I have killed much larger bucks, 2 1/2, 3 1/2 yo that were STILL spikes. So SOMETIMES a spike will always be a spike but NOT always.

It's also my opinion from 40+ years of deer hunting, that a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 yo spike will NOT become a "trophy" or very large racked buck.

Jerry

Yep, I'm aware of that as I've seen studies where spikes turn into B&C deer and sometimes they don't.

My favorite buck I've killed was an older deer the taxi said he guessed 6.5yrs old based on teeth, that is a 7pt. Slightly wider than his ears, good mass, scars all over him, been shot in the past, just an old warrior and that's what I'm after. Score doesn't mean much to me, I'd just rather pull the trigger on an older mature deer than a young one.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.