Originally Posted by Otter6
In Colonial times there were hunters. Folks that were good at it,and provided for the encampment or settlement. Woodsmen. Now everyone with the means to participate in "hunting" wants his or her bit of control over the outcome. When I was young it was all about success. If you weren't successful every year,you weren't a good hunter. News flash. Not everyone is. Just like Colonial times. So,through time we have groomed things to make it easier for everyone to be successful. Like it or not,it was monetarily driven.

The video industry was the best thing ever to help drive the new age of hunting. Everyone wanted to be like Wilbur,or have their "Monster buck moment". Cameras,tree stands,video equipment,calls. All being dragged into the brush. Deer have been groomed for size,shape,age base. All to satisfy our burgeoning egos. Millions of dollars a year dumped into the "sport" of hunting.

Now anyone can do it. So all we have left is judging each other. The age of the deer isn't the real question here. It's the approval of our peers. Again,thanks to the hunting video industry.

Being on the back side of it all now,"old". I hunt to be a hunter. Never used an elevated stand or camera. Not going to start now. It's not about deer age or size. It's not about filling the freezer. It's about squeezing some enjoyment and quiet time out of life. Rest assured,if my loved ones were hungry,deer would die,regardless of their size or shape. I know how to do it. Hey,I use to watch hunting videos you know. Deer weren't put here for me to "manage",but somehow I manage to get my share.

Get up. Get out and hunt! Concern yourself with your own ethics and peace of mind. The rest is bull chit.

Otter-I enjoyed your post and agree with a lot of it. The thing that bothers me is, the ones who want to judge a man for killing a small buck. If it is a legal deer and you hunt on a lease that allows it...it is no one else's business what they shoot. If one hunts on a lease or private land with low or no fence, does anyone have the right to get mad at someone on the next lease or land who shoots "your" deer? Years ago I was watching Roger Ragland on his show and reading questions from viewers. One of the questions was from an irate viewer who questioned Roger's ethics on a deer he had apparently killed on one of his shows. I guess he had killed it after it had jumped a low fence from another property and come to his stand and Roger killed it. The viewer believed that Roger had killed someone else's deer. Roger showed a video then of a deer in OK that showed him jumping 4 or 5 fences in the one video. Roger then asked the viewer, "Whose deer is it?" Good question.

The definition of "hunting" has changed drastically in the 30-40 years here in LA where I live. I don't like a lot of the changes, but as long as one abides by the laws and rules of their lease...what have I to say about it? Nothing. Not my business. It's like country music...lol. When I was younger and liked the music...George Jones, Merle Haggard, etc. was what I listened to. My wife likes this new stuff which does not even closely resemble what I consider CM. However, when we ride together I listen to it to keep the peace!

Mr. Jerry-I believe you told a little white one my Friend...you are a trophy hunter! Those are some nice deer. Might need to see if I can round up some of my kinfolk in Arkansas and see if any of them hunt and want to help a cuz out...lol.