To All,

When I was in grad school long ago, I was assigned a "study partner" by accident (An alphabetical accident, as both of us had a last name starting with "F") , who happened to be utterly beautiful, VERY smart (Maranda was then a math major working on her MEd/EdS & now is a superintendent of a large county ISD.) & African-American.
(Fwiw, I'm of "mixed race" being of Native, Scots & English ancestry.- IF I wanted to, I could pass for White or perhaps some sort of Latino.)

What I found most disturbing and utterly SAD was that the Blacks AND the Whites on our campus were EQUALLY angered that we were constantly together in the library, in class, downtown, in the college dining facility & (worst of all) we visited each others homes at times. -= Further BOTH of us were threatened with violence by both races & genders.
(The threats against the 2 of us became so commonplace that I started wearing a S&W Model 10 revolver everywhere. - YES, the college's president & the county's sheriff knew & thought that my carrying a handgun was: WISE & PRUDENT.)
During the 20 months that we worked on our graduate project, her apartment was broken into, everything was smeared with red paint & "trashed" & my new Buick was so severely vandalized on Easter Sunday that State Farm declared it a total loss.

Now, as I enter my 8th decade of life, I find it incredibly SAD that racism (regardless of the race/ethnic group of the bigot) is just as pervasive as it was in 1974-76. = Won't we as a society ever learn??

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836