Originally Posted by ol_mike
? How easy would it be to keep the ''deserving'' students up to par with the ''rich priviledged kids''

It is easy enough. When I was hired in 1981 I along with about 20 other personnel from my department (all white men, mostly kinda redneck) were assigned to attend 7 weeks of basic LEO training at LSU, Baton Rouge. Along with us were about 40+ deputies and small town officers, some of whom had degrees in criminal justice. Believe it or not, academically this was a very tough school and of course there were folks in there totally unfamiliar with firearms. We had 15 or more black deputies in there that had been hired by a white sheriff that apparently did not want a deputy smarter than he was. Needless to say they were in way over their heads. Our group was beating the crap out of the whole class academically and certainly excelling with firearm qualification. You might not think a bunch of redneck game wardens would go out of their way to help this group of blacks who were struggling mightily, but we did. All but one of them graduated and became P.O.S.T. certified LEOs. The one that didn't was a very sissy young man that was so frightened of his handgun that it is a wonder he didn't kill someone before he was deleted from the class. So yes, in our case we we were able to bring "deserving" students right along with us. And law enforcement is not rocket science so I am sure that some of them made pretty good officers.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."