Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by koshkin
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by koshkin
I know a lot of people who hunt with ARs chambered for the likes of 6.8SPC, 6.5Grendel, 300Blackout, etc.

For those applications, anything with more than two inches of eye relief is plenty.

I suspect that this will be an excellent scope for that use.

Personally, I am partial to the 6.5Grendel and it seems to work just fine on pigs.

I probably would not put this scope on a safari gun, but there are plenty of other scopes out there for that.

ILya

I don't disagree,but I can't for the life of me figure out why you wouldn't just design it with a slightly larger ocular if needed and at least 3.5" eye relief. I really prefer 3.75"-4" because it increases options on where it will work. I just see no advantage to such short ER at the disadvantage of maybe one ounce more weight.

As a general disclaimer, I do not do product development with SWFA. I have a cordial relationship with them, so I often get to see prototypes before they are released, but that is largely it.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that they looked at the one part of the hunting market that is actually growing and tried to make a scope for that application. I suspect, that they were also trying to get the weight under 10 ounces, so every little bit of weight saving makes a difference. As has been pointed out earlier, there is only so much lightening you can do on the insides before you sacrifice durability, so I suspect the eyepiece was the next logical place to streamline things without sacrificing quality.

To be brutally honest, if I were them, I would probably do the same thing. People simply do not buy 32mm objective scopes for conventional big game hunting rifles any more. If you want to introduce a lightweight scope, you have to look outside of the 30-06 boltguns.

I have seen this before: what people say they would do and what they actually do are not the same thing.

If I were to run a poll here on how many people would buy a 12 ounce 2.5-10x32 scope with 4" of eye relief and then went on to build that scope based on positive feedback, I would go bankrupt.
The number of scopes I would sell would end up at best one tenth of the number of people who said they would buy it.

ILya

You’d sell a schitt load more of them with 4” eye relief than you will with 2.5”.... that’s for phuggin sure.

No, it is not for sure at all. If they make scope with this eyepiece diameter and 4" of eye relief, everyone will complain how the image looks too small. If they make it heavier, everyone will complain that it is too heavy for an ultralight. Sometimes you have to make compromises.

The market is weird that way. We'll see how this scope does for SWFA. If my guess is correct and target market for this is hunting ARs, they should do well with it as is.

ILya