Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
For example, an average 168 grain 308 load or 75 grain 223 load can be easily sighted in to where one mil low = 300 yards, two mils low = 400, and so on, which makes for a really intuitive BDC reticle. A reticle with MOA graduations isn't going to fall in line so nicely.

You know they have an app for that, actually several and they seem to work pretty well. Seems to me an MOA system will mirror pretty closely to what you can do with a MIL system, but the yards or meters per dot/hash might not be the same. All it boils down to is I don't want a BDC reticle calculated for some cartridge I might not be using, I'd rather just have a plain MIL or MOA reticle where I figure it out.

Yep, I’ve used MOA reticles and they pretty much suck for this use, as the yardages turn out to be something like “1 MOA low = 243 yards, 2 MOA = 282 yards, 3 MOA = 319 yards, 4 MOA = 355 yards, 5 MOA = 389 yards,” which translates into a big confusing mess in the heat of the moment when an animal is about to step over the ridge, and you accidentally aim with the wrong hash mark. By the way, those are the drops for a 308/168/200 yard zero.

BDC reticles like the LR Duplex certainly aren’t perfect, but they’re simple and work pretty well for big game with most reasonable speed/reasonable BC cartridges. For example, a 2” high @ 100 sight in with the same load as above in my environmental conditions ends up with 1st dot = about 310, 2nd dot = 400, top of post = 500. Easy to remember and fast to get on target when you’re tired, cold, and have minimal time to make a shot on a big bull elk that hesitated for a second before topping the ridge before leaving the country.

Overall, Mil/Mil is where it’s at. Use as a BDC, or for the normal ranging/dialing/spotting purposes.