Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Dogs are often a source of tension between neighbors. If as an owner if you let your dog roam loose in an area where it may end up being a nuisance to other people, you have zero bitching rights when a neighbor relieves himself of that nuisance. People don't want to hear your dog barking. People don't want your dog shidting in their yard. People don't want your dog chasing them down the street. People don't want your dog getting into their trash. People don't want your dog attacking theirs. People don't want your dog chasing the birds they enjoy watching on their property. You have a goddam duty when you get a dog to keep the fugking thing from being a nuisance. Why is that concept so foreign to so many?

SPOT ON

I can't believe all these pages of people saying,you shoot my dog, I'll shoot you.

It is your responsibility to train your dog,not your neighbor's. If you think some much of your dog, teach it not to leave your property. It isn't hard,and is just ignorance and laziness not too. If you don' t want your dog harmed, keep it at home if you think so much of it.

I just shot one about three weeks ago. Far enough away so I din't kill it,but close enough it got a few BB's in it's butt. I have two good mules caught up in corrals right now. The ground is solid ice.That dog got in and was spooking them enough that they were skidding around.If they broke it's leg, I was out $3k and the dog goes home and the neighbors won't even consider paying for the mule .

So they call the sheriff on me. Sheriff tells them I was well within my rights and acted appropriately. Colorado law says any dog can be shot /killed harassing livestock.If in unincorporated part of the county ,the sheriff can't do anything about dogs running loose as there is no leash law.

This was after talking to this neighbor more than three times about their dogs

My experience tells me that if you have to talk to a dog owner, you are probably wasting your time. Good responsible people care for their pets in a way that doesn't allow them to become a nuisance. If you have to talk to someone, it's most likely you are talking to someone who is irresponsible. Talking to irresponsible people rarely makes them responsible.

With that said, I would not shoot a dog as a first course of action unless it was a clear and present danger. I love dogs. They hold a special place in my heart. Sometimes good pet owners have good dogs who get away and roam. I'd hate to kill a loved family member in a situation like that.