Originally Posted by Dale K
I've got 3 main beefs with moving the opener to the Saturday after Thanksgiving:

1) There is currently small game and turkey hunting on that day. In the past, I've done a lot of deer scouting while small game hunting (I hunt both in the same area) on that Saturday. That option would be lost.

2) Currently, I go to my daughters house near Reading for Thanksgiving, come home to Somerset on Saturday and go to my hunting area near DuBois on Sunday. With the Saturday opener, when do I travel and repack from 'family clothes' to 'hunting clothes'? Leave her house (and the grandkids) on Thanksgiving? Drive all day on Friday and end up dead tired for Saturday? Both of those options suck big time.

3) With Sundays currently closed for hunting of most species (coyotes, foxes, and crows are legal to hunt in Pa. on Sunday), what is there to do? Drink all day? Drive home so I can go to work on Monday? Target shoot and scare the deer more?

For me, it doesn't solve anything and only creates more problems.

Dale

I can't even wrap my head around that one. You deer hunt and small game hunt the same area. You small game hunt that Saturday and scout for the opener on Monday.

So going there to small game hunt is no problem on Saturday, but somehow going there to deer hunt on Saturday is a PIA. On top of that, you can't keep yourself occupied for 12 hours on Sunday, so the season needs to open on Monday.

Very confusing.

Also apparently bear mating, sleep and deer fugging all factors in, as well as the Blue laws. Yep, sounds groovy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"