Originally Posted by 1bigdude
I own a camp and property in Potter county, once billed the deer hunting capital of the east, I own it since 1955. IMO the lamest excuse against a Saturday opener is "camp tradition". Sport hunting is about game management an the PGC is doing a pizz poor job of that.
For the record it was 1963 when the opener was changed to the Monday after TG. Instead of all these different deer seasons maybe they should open deer season in October and close it in mid December an let you use any legal weapon. Still can not kill more than 1 buck and doe per doe tag (s).
Want good deer numbers again then demand a cut in anterless tags....nothing will change until that changes. Bring back numbers and hunters will accept any date as the "new tradition".

If you check, you will find the opening day was on a Monday long before that. Although I cant say for sure it was the one following thanksgiving. It might well have been the one closest to Dec. first.
As for the "hunters", there will be a long line waiting in the rain to buy the last tag for the last one.
Because if they don't, then as the saying always goes "somebody else will". And that is the story of Potter Co and other areas as well, somebody else did.