As for having places to hunt, i don't see this as being an issue at least in PA. The issue is and has always been the reluctance on the part of people to put forth the effort to get to them. When I was a young kid we drove all day from the SE corner of the state to get to the NC part of the state for deer hunting. Most of the people we knew felt we were crazy for doing that when a short drive to upper Bucks county or the Poconos was all that was necessary for them.
Certainly those type areas have changed to the point that very little hunting can be done there except on what few areas of private/public land is left, most of which is posted.
But nothing has changed in the NC region, except that the area of open public land has actually increased. Certainly some posting has taken place, but by and large it's just along the paved roads, and dosent extend very far back from them.
But over the last ten years especially, the number of people hunting those lands have diminished to a very large degree.
Those who think that hunting opportunities have declined, need realize that to a large degree, they have only shifted to other areas. Today, the big woods is where the biggest bucks live, whereas 25 years ago it was the farm areas.
Even places like Potter county are suffering today as compared to the more rugged remote areas with lots of open land.
The main issue is that it is no longer as easy as it once was, in almost every way.
When I was young, deer season opening day was treated as though it were a state wide holiday.
Over the years the PGC has in fact listened, and changed rules in order to pacify hunter demands.
And here we are, still bitching about what few they haven't.