Baiting bears is illegal here in New Mexico. They can be hunted with hounds, although I don't know anyone who hunts them that way. Seems like most of the hound hunters are nonresidents who have only a relatively short time to hunt. The season is long and bears are plentiful in many areas. I usually see at least one or two when I am deer hunting. Back when I was guiding guest hunters, it was not unusual to see several in the course of a 7-day hunting season.

I finally bought a bear license last year, primarily because I didn't draw a deer license. I hunted off and on during the open season, but saw only females with cubs or young bears. I was looking for a decent-sized bear that would make a good rug.

I found that for residents like me, who can walk out the door and be hunting bears within an hour or two, you can take your time, It s not necessary go out on days with really foul weather. I had some really enjoyable fall days afield and saw a lot of wildlife--just not any bears that I wanted to shoot. I will buy another license this year, whether I draw a deer tag or not.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...