OK, Just A Hunter has broached the subject of grizzlies in MT, which for the most part is the same in their current range. Yes, grizzly bears are becoming a nuisance in their range and this will continue to expand as their numbers increase. In MT to get a bear tag a person has to take an online test to qualify to be able to purchase a bear tag. The irony of this test is that it can be taken over and again if initially failed. I took this online test and do not consider myself to be any type of expert. But, I can purchase a bear tag each year once having passed this online test. I have come into contact with a sow Griz in NW MT. I was fortunate to be able to avoid conflict, as was my lab, as we were pheasant hunting and my firearm was a 20 gauge 870 sporting #6 steel shot. Certainly not adequate stop a charging Griz.
Now, I for one will apply for a Griz tag if, if mind you, a legal season is set in MT. Not with standing the 9th district circuit court interference. Heck who knows if this will ever come to past?
Once again I will restate that it would have to be the right bear, in my personal subjective mind.
It is not my intent to high Jack this post. But I thought this pertinent enough to expound upon where Just A Hunter broached the subject. My .02 cents. MTG

Last edited by MTGunner; 03/21/19.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!