ironbender;
Good evening to you sir, I trust that this first weekend in spring 2019 finds you and your fine family well.

Speaking personally, and how else could I logically I suppose, it's one of the more interesting aspects of the 'Fire to me seeing how different hunters from their own areas view other hunters' methods and animals hunted.

Having lived in a couple rather diverse locales I can see how easily that would take place should a person either not move about or get involved with local wildlife management issues.

For instance where I lived in northern Saskatchewan the black bears accounted for more than 30% of the moose calf mortality, so the DNR encouraged bear hunting there to ease pressure on moose.

Here in BC we're positively swimming in black bears and while we've hunted them in the past, have not done so for a few years and really and truly should get back at it.

As far as the flavor of the meat, as you've stated, if they're eating sweet food, black bears can be some of the best wild protein one can ever encounter.

We have an "early private land" season here which allows orchardists and vineyards to cull problem bears as the fruit begins to ripen. A contractor buddy shot a small problem bear as a favor for a vineyard one year and the meat smelled like it was marinated in good red wine.

He gave us a back leg and the top of the rump was boned out, properly seasoned, pan seared and then slow roasted. Honestly after a lifetime of eating wild game it stands out as one of the absolute top meals we've ever made.

That said, a garbage eater or fish bear makes even the most talented sausage maker have fits....

Obligatory bear photo.
[Linked Image]

To the OP, I'd suggest that all that appears on TV isn't as it appears and actual hunting of several creatures is tougher than it looks.

After all, if I was to gauge how hard it was to hunt whitetails from watching hunting videos.... well anyway I've hunted whitetails quite a bit - so I won't do that. wink

All the best to you and yours this spring ironbender.

Dwayne

PS;
The local Wally World now carries the "hat and gloves" which I became addicted too so long ago. Thought of you when I bought some and thanks again sir!

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"