I hate to raise the ire of my fellow campers, but I started reading this thread kind of wondering the same as the OP.

Bears over bait has always seemed like one of the least attractive ways to hunt. However, now that I see it being discussed, I understand it a lot better.

We have a bear in the neighborhood. That's right, 1 lousy bear. He's been around for about 10 years or so. A buddy of mine thinks he dens in the basement of an abandoned mill about a mile from the house. He's one of the few that have actually seen him. Me? I only see sign. Every September, the bear shows up and scratches a couple of trees, clobbers a stand of sumac, lays a few turds by the sumac and then moves on. I could generally care less.

Kentucky has a season on bear, but it's 5 counties over and it's one of those deals where they have a 3 day season, but you have to call in every day to find out of the quota has been met. Some years, no bears are taken. It sounds like a lot of work for very little payoff.

I just want to thank y'all for educating me. I won't say you've moved bear up to the top of my bucket list, but I'm at least going to consider it in the future.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer