Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by Tradmark
Doesnt matter. Wound channel size increases whether its a solid or an expandable.

Without agreeing or disagreeing with the above, my point is that the reasons for wound channel size being a function of velocity are quite likely different depending on if the bullet is expanding or not.

Consider a non-expanding bullet at 1500 fps. Assume it has enough energy to create a pass through. Now consider the same bullet at 2000 fps. It too should pass through. If it creates a larger wound channel it will do so because of some phenomena based only on velocity.

Consider a expanding bullet at 1500 fps. Assume it expands. Now consider the same bullet at 2000 fps. Assume the bullet construction is such that the greater velocity causes it to expand to a larger diameter. It creates a larger wound channel due to the both greater diameter and (probably) velocity.

If you are going to get into a discussion about the OP's question, you are going to have to talk about how the bullet behaves.

I have shot enough big game with a revolver to know that a bullet such as a mono metal flat point will inflict a larger would channel at 1400 FPS than the same bullet at 1000 FPS to soft tissue such as heart and lungs.

I don't doubt your experience. For clarification, are you talking about an expanding bullet or not? (Some mono metal bullets are designed to expand, correct?)

I’ve never seen a monometal flat point that expanded in a revolver. I am saying more velocity equals more damage with both. Lungs and heart react to velocity in my experience. On very large game a revolver hunter needs penetration more than expansion.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first