Originally Posted by jimmyp
No sir, no bullshitting, under 2200 or so fps the temporary wound channel is the wound channel. If you shoot a 45 caliber bullet the collateral damage under 2200 fps is limited to a smaller area around the bullet channel. When you reach a certain velocity then the temporary wound channel expansion is permanent. First I would not want to shoot a bear with a 5.56 as penetration would not be there. OTOH at 40-50 yards a 55 grain FMJ 5.56 round into your chest will FYU, and you probably will not make the hospital. A 44 magnum 255 grain slug thru the same hole if it was off center might not kill you. It AINT hydrostatic shock, its when yo tissue cannot stretch any further and it just tears. The collateral damage is just greater with high velocity rounds. I noticed while hunting that a 5.56 thru a deers chest under 100 yards will kill them just as fast or faster than a 30-06 at the same distance...poor comparison I guess.

I guess I don't understand the argument very well.

I offered the 22LR/22WMR example as it is something I shot a lot of ground squirrels with as a kid, and the WMR did a LOT more damage, with velocities around 1200/1800 respectively.

You could compare wounds from a 158gr JHP fired at 800 fps from a 38 Spl handgun, and the same bullet out of a 357 Carbine at 1800 fps. The difference will be dramatic.