Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by jwp475

GunDoc7, when the velocity is increased so is the momentum along with the hydraulic pressure both add to the wound channel. Many tend to forget that depth of wound channel is also part of the total volume.

I do understand the physics. But I don't have enough experience to say what works best.

My question about "monometal" was because to me "monometal" means the expanding copper bullets such as the Barnes bullets especially the rifle bullets. While a lead bullet is also made of one metal, I tend to call them swaged, cast, or hard cast.

If I understand you experience and argument correctly, given equal diameter, shape, and meplat diameter, within reason one should trade weight for velocity. For example, a 250 grain hard cast .44 is better than a slower 300 grain hard cast .44 as long as the 250 grain gives sufficient penetration for the animal and the angle. This is because any energy the bullet has as it exits the animal is essentially wasted. If you are of the "complete penetration is good" school of thought (as I am) the ideal situation is for the bullet to exit with very little remaining velocity. Correct?

Example a Lehigh monometal flat point non expanding bullet same caliber same weight one fired at 950 FPS the other fired at 1400 FPS the faster bullet will produce more damage.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first