Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Frank Billum who was one of the old traditional chiefs of the Ahtna Athabaskans was one of the best hunters that I have encountered. He didn't need much and would get a big moosk every year. His 30-30 was state of the art and he would dote on it like a favorite child or pet. He kept it in a very nice beaded moose-leather case. I once got up enough courage to ask him why he put so much love into a levergun that had an effective range of 125 yards. He said it was because it was a hell of a lot better than the muzzleloader he had before or the bows and arrows that he started with.

I can all but guarantee he had a greater effective range than 125 yards. I used to go 125 yards with my .44 Mag revolver. With my open sighted 30-30's I've killed past 200 yards.
Same here. 200 is no problem on deer with an open sighted .30-30. I've killed several between 200 and 250 and one at a little over 300 with mine. One shot each. Course that was 30 years ago when my eyesight was considerably better than it is today.