The greatest hunter(s) that I have known, are unknown to the vast majority of people. My dad was one of them. There a several common denominators among the ones I have met:

The first thing is they hunt alone, maybe share a camp with someone else, but they ALWAYS hunt alone.

Their equipment is the best they can afford and functional, and perhaps many years old.

None of them wear camo.

They spend nearly as much time in the woods in the dark (early and late), as in the daylight.

Seldom did they hunt the same places year after year. They hunted where the game was, and were not afraid to work to find them.

None of them were out of shape, even in old age (none smoked or drank in excess).

I never heard any of them talk of excitement or buck fever before or after the kill......they expected it to happen, and it came as no surprise.

Their hunting stories were matter of fact, and not full of emotional fluff. There was much to learn, if you would shut up and listen.

They were motivated in filling their tag(s), because they lived on what they killed.

Several things proved how good they were, without being said:

They could nearly always fill a tag, even on hard pressured public land.....and even hunting it for the first time. If hunter success was in the single digits, they were one of them!

The pictures of their success (if they took them), was just a dead animal on the ground...because they were alone.

Spending the night in the woods happened often, especially if they were "close". They weren't considered "lost or late", just hot on the trail.

None were bow hunters, guide/outfitter, writers, or some other "authority" on the subject.

And most importantly.....none of them bragged.

These guys are off the radar, because the only person they have to measure up to, are themselves. They are the ones you see coming out of the woods alone, with heavy packs, a sparkle in their eyes, and maybe a sly grin. I saw that expression, on my dad's face, many times!

I vote for these guys.....the best you never heard of. I've been fortunate to know a couple, and I strive to hunt just like them!

Andy3