Two on TV actually got my interest up before I started really reading gun rags. A fellow named Jim Thomas had a TV show in the 60s called "The Lone Star Sportsman." I actually learned and cut my teeth watching this. Then there was Bob Brister who wrote in the Houston Chronical and had a TV Show on Channel 13 Houston. I remember seeing for the first time the art of rattling up deer. Also a lot of points on waterfowl hunting. These guys got me going. I loved Warren Page also and later Bob Wooters and of course Elmer and Jack. But the classic of all, and I actually read more of his stuff as an adult was Karamojo Bell himself. That guy had balls bigger than a Cadillac. Another one that got my attention was Peter Hathaway Capstick. He had some great stories of Africa. One was a snake story. He said he went to visit a South African hunter friend one day whom he had visited many times. He noticed a large chunk out of the couch back missing and asked his friend about it. The guy told him one evening he was sitting in his favorite chair across from the couch where his wife and baby were seated. He looked up and saw a rather large Black Mamba crawling along the edge of the back toward his wife and baby. He always had his shotgun close by and he grabbed it and killed the snake before it could bite his wife and baby. The shot took that chunk out of the couch. Capstick had a lot of those stories. And not just about snakes. He shared a lot of hunting stories about elephants and buffalo. He was a great writer.

These are a sampling of my formative years.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/23/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!