Originally Posted by sharps4590
Contempt? No, that's a pretty strong word to use for someone who simply uses a different cartridge or one I have absolutely zero interest in or use for. Now, if he opens his mouth and shows arrogant ignorance then....still not contempt but they quickly become a person I have no desire to be around or whose opinion carries any credence.

There's enough cartridges we don't need that would fill a full size pick-up bed. Most of them hit the market after about 1940 and of those that came out after 1940, the really good ones were already wildcats or their counterpart had been developed in Europe or Great Britain and most prior to 1900. The real improvements have been in propellants, metallurgy and tolerances. The one thing that annoys me most, nothing contemptuous, is when any cartridge reaches new heights of popularity when it does absolutely nothing that wasn't already being done, sometimes well over a century ago. It's good for those who shoot factory ammo and the ignorant, uninformed and those who need an easy button, I guess, but it isn't fact.

No the really good ones were not pre 1900. The 30-06 and 375 H&H came later.