Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

1. Disdain for those whose cartridge choice exceeds their ability to shoot it. Won't name names and it was almost 20 years ago anyway, but hunted with a guy who had a .300 Win. Mag that he had no business shooting since it made him flinch like an abused dog. Watched him blow multiple non-lethal holes around the periphery of animals, broke both front legs of one, just miserable shooting that made for miserable kills.

I grew up having to shoot shotgun and slugs for deer. Nothing like learning to take recoil from an Ithaca 37 with one ounce slugs. I learned to flinch real well and took a lot of time away from hunting and shooting (Navy) to forget how I hated that. Probably why I prefer heavier rifles now, but still have to talk to myself every now and then. Range time is a good thing.

Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Huge magnums in the South.
No, Cletus, you don't need a 300Rum to kill a 100lbs doe at 105yards.

No but I did love it when I killed a 160 class 8 point at 719 yards. He weighed 274 pounds on the scales.

I have taken my 300WM hunting with me in SC but it only goes to the bean fields where it can be used out to 600+ yards. It's not my normal deer rifle for in the woods...that I leave to the 243 or 25-06.

As for calibers that should die, I don't think any should die...some will likely fad into the history books and some likely shouldn't have been brought to the light of day but new ideas and concepts can be a fun thing in life. If someone new to the sport wanted an obscure caliber I'd make sure they were educated that ammo/ availability/cost will be higher but wouldn't tell them not to buy it if their heart was set on it. That said I have a personal stigma on the '06 because of one man growing up. Everything was "my '06 can do that and more"! Could've told him you were hunting pheasants and he'd say the same thing. Turned out he was a drunk and his son's were no better (emptying the rifle at any deer that walked in) so they got replaced. I have no disdain for the cartridge, just don't plan on buying one.